May 22, 2009

I recalled at how I left Youth Ministry...

It's simple isn't it? If you want to leave, you just leave right?
But over so many years by now and as I looked back, most of the time with my friends, I felt a little wasted up. As in my youth was spent growing and building "Youth Ministry". At times, I wonder if it's a mistake. Yes...to a certain extend I believe. But on the other hand it is a no, because it is where I learn and grow to be who I am today, with a bunch of close buddies though.

At times, I do wonder if those buddies will be there for me....but I'm thankful to have Addie so nearby me that a call would be enough. And of course, our "WINNING ELEVEN" moments must be our downfall...loL!

Back to leaving the ministry, I guess it was rather different for me in comparison to many others. Some of them left the church entirely so really, there ain't any memories flashback as often as mine. But I'm glad it's over.

When it's over, it's over. The ethical standards that I agreed to at my ordination clearly state that when I leave a ministry I cease to be a pastor to that church and its members. After years with a youth group, this can be difficult. It means cutting the umbilical cord, in a sense, so that the youth can make room in their lives for something new. In my last official gathering with our group (which occurred during our mission trip), I explained that I was going to have to put distance between us as I was not going to be their youth minister any more. This meant no more regular messages back and forth on Facebook or email, no calls seeking help with personal issues, no joining them for a movie or ice cream after youth group. I explained that this didn't mean I loved them any less -- it was just time for me to move on and for them to make space for their new pastor. After a pause to take all this in, one of the girls in the group said, "So, does this mean we are breaking up?" We all laughed and I said, "Yeah, in a way. We are breaking up. But we will always be friends!"

I read of these from another blog and I'm thankful that some of these active youth are still my friends, although not many of them.
I'm happy that now that i look back, those hurts no longer hurt and that it's really something of the past. I don't even know those youths now, but one thing I'm a certain...the path ahead will continue to be messy...but in a way, I'm looking forward to it.

Goodbye to those beautiful and ugly moments of the past...I'm welcoming the future...

Somehow, this song inspires me about creating a new world....by FIVE FOR FIGHTING (it's quite an old song ald anyway)



"World"

Got a package full of Wishes
A Time machine, a Magic Wand
A Globe made out of Gold

No Instructions or Commandments
Laws of Gravity or
Indecisions to uphold

Printed on the box I see
A.C.M.E.'s Build-a-World-to-be
Take a chance - Grab a piece
Help me to believe it

What kind of world do you want?
Think Anything
Let's start at the start
Build a masterpiece
Be careful what you wish for
History starts now...

Should there be people or peoples
Money, Funny pedestals for Fools who never pay
Raise your Army - Choose your Steeple
Don't be shy, the satellites can look the other way

Lose the Earthquakes - Keep the Faults
Fill the oceans without the salt
Let every Man own his own Hand

What kind of world do you want
Think Anything
Let's start at the start
Build a masterpiece
Be careful what you wish for
History starts now...

Sunlight's on the Bridge
Sunlight's on the Way
Tomorrow's Calling

There's more to this than Love

What Kind of world do you want
What Kind of world do you want

What Kind of world do you want
Think Anything
Let's start at the start
Build a masterpiece

History Starts Now

Be careful what you wish for
Start Now




1 comment:



You are visitor Website Hit Counter since Dec 10th 2007