Boycott Racism

One of the biggest problem in my country, Malaysia is racism....and it's sad to hear politicians arguing and playing the race card. 

Ismail Sabri is the latest politician caught in this, in his “racist” call for Malays to boycott Chinese traders. I agreed with what many are asking from him, because the least that one could do is to offer an apology.

Ismail Sabri is the controversial figure after his racist call to boycott Chinese traders

DAP is quick in demanding an apology on this....MCA is moving in as well. Other respected figure like the former Prime Minister, Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad has chastised Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob for his racist rant on Chinese businesses, saying the price of goods going up has nothing to do with the ethnicity of the trader. 

Tun Dr Mahathir 

It's good to know that there are many who are sensitive on the racial issue in this country....but I think perhaps, it's important for Malaysians to look at their everyday lives and reflect on this issue. Racism is an issue and Malaysians must learn to see one another as fellow human beings, instead of the other race. 

There's always the mentality that Chinese are cheaters (in our context here, Chinese traders), the Malays are lazy, the Indians are liars....but if we could look beyond race and see that the problem is not the race. It's the environment that we live in and how those circumstances change us. 

I frequently visited the mamak shop for my football game and the price prove to be as prone to inflation as the Chinese hawker stalls. I have met Malay friends and colleagues who are more helpful than the Chinese....and I'm glad to have learn things from them after I graduated and started working. I have Indian friends whom I can trust and gladly call for help if I really need one. I have Chinese brother who helped me go through my hardship in my teenage years. It's really not the race....if there is one thing that Malaysian should boycott, it's racism. I hope the next time before we scold another race, perhaps we should look deeper and see that we are really not that different. 

It's not that the Chinese traders who are unethical in business dealings...it's not the Malays who are lazy...it's not the Indians who are liars....it's the flaw in humanity that we all sin and it's a journey where we learn on a daily basis. If there's anything that we should boycott, it's RACISM.  

#boycottracism

No comments:

Follow by Email

Theme images by i-bob. Powered by Blogger.