Fitness Project: Spartacus workout [Part 1]

I have been attempting different exercise variation but I make sure that when I'm doing it, I didn't hurt myself. 

My initial introduction to "Spartacus" workout caused some pull on my thigh and I have to reduce the intensity in my workout after that. I had also been reckless in my sit ups as I overdo it, causing some minor injury to my lower back. Anyway, I have been more careful in my workout and exercise after that, making sure that the weights are within my limits and I didn't overdo it. While being too careful might slow down the process of building up, I feel more assured and energetic after each of these workout. This also help me to be more consistent and keep going for the long haul.

Anyway, if you want to do the "Spartacus" workout, I suggest you try to do it without the weights first. It will be a good indication for you to see how far you can go in those workouts. 

1) Goblet Squat


GOBLET SQUAT
You can hold on the dumbbell with two hands vertically in front of your chest. By keeping your back naturally arched, push your hips back, bend your knees, and lower your body until the tops of your thighs are at least parallel to the floor. After that, pause and push yourself to the starting position. Do this for 1 minute. I suggest you to start without the dumbbell. While this exercise is not difficult, doing it for 1 minute and continuing with the other exercise can be quite challenging.

2) Mountain climber

The second set will also be quite stressful. Doing mountain climber for 1 minute is quite challenging for those who are doing it for the first time.


Mountain climber
You can start this by assuming a push up position, with your arms straight. Make sure that your body form a straight line from your head to your ankles. By maintaining the same posture of your lower back, lift your right foot off the floor and move toward your chest. Return to the starting position and do the same with your left. Alternate back and forth for the duration set. If 1 minute is too difficult for beginners, you may consider lowering it to 30 seconds instead.

3) Single arm dumbbell swing


This is probably the easiest workout. Maybe I was using a very light dumbbell for the exercise but I'm quite comfortable with this. 

Hold a dumbbell (or a kettlebell) at arms length in front of your waist. Without rounding your lower back, bend at your hips and knees and swing the dumbbell between your legs. By keeping your arm straight, thrust your hips forward and swing the dumbbell to shoulder level as you rise to a standing position. Swing the weight back and forth. At the 30-second mark, switch arms. I will suggest you to do this exercise for 1 minute.

4) T-Pushups

This is the workout that I love. It's quite difficult and could be done with or without the dumbbell. 




Grab a pair of hex dumbbells and assume a push up position with your arms straight. Just like how you would do a push up, lower down your body. As you push your body up, lift your right hand and rotate the right side of your body as you raise the dumbbell straight up over your shoulder until your body forms a T. Repeat and do the same for your left hand. 

5) Split Jump

Split jump is something that I do for warm up so I was quite surprise when doing it for 1 minute means a lot more painful and difficult. 


Remain in the A position. Then jump with enough force to propel both feet off the floor. While in the air, scissor-kick your legs so you land with your left leg forward. Repeat, alternating your forward leg for the duration of the set. 
For those who might be overweight, this could be bad for the knee so you might opt to do lunges instead. If you want to increase the intensity level, you might consider doing it with the dumbbell.


These are the first 5 exercises in Spartacus workout. You may look at Spartacus Workout [Part 2] for the remaining 5 stations. 

No comments:

Follow by Email

Theme images by i-bob. Powered by Blogger.