FitnessProject: A Balanced Workout

Sometimes, it could be difficult to balance one's workout especially if you have certain preference. Some people prefer to work on their chest...some on their abs....some love to run....some focus on cardio alone....but throughout this period of time, I figure out the most important thing about fitness is a balanced workout.

When I started, I was rushing to get the 25lbs dumbbell from 15lbs. I managed to do it but with a consequence....I suffered a lower back pain. I talked to a fitness trainer from Great Eastern who encouraged me to take weights that are not so heavy but focus on the intensity of my workout.

Anyway, here is a balanced workout that you could follow if you are more interested on physical fitness than merely building body:

1) RUNNING

I think all workout has to start with running as I believe cardio training is good for the body. It helps to keep your heart young and healthy. Here are some of the variation that I do.

RUNNING

5 minutes - 1 kilometres run
5 minutes - slightly more than 1km run
10 minutes of 8km/hr run
25 minutes - 5 kilometres run
6km run within 30 minutes

You can consider going for longer distance but since my intention is to slowly build my body while maintaining my level of fitness, I'm trying to go below 6km. Of course, if you want to lose weight, perhaps going for an hour of run once a week would be a great option as well. If I were to run less, I will do more on my weights and vice versa. I don't think there is a clear cut rule but it's great to set certain targets and hit it on each of your workouts.

2) WEIGHTS

a) BICEPS - one at a time biceps curl

Probably it's the habit but I always start my weight by lifting the dumbbell and focusing on the biceps. As mentioned earlier, I reduced the weight to 15lbs and doing a repetition of 13 to 16 times for my right hand and with an additional repetition for my left hand since I felt my left hand needed more training. 

IN BETWEEN NORMAL 10 SECS REST, DO LEG RAISE (INSTEAD OF REST)

After I've done for both my right and left hand, I will immediately do leg raise. This is to focus on my abs. Basically, for every interval, I'll focus on my abs.

REPETITION OF 5 TIMES

EACH TIME BEFORE MOVING TO A NEW EXERCISE, DO A GOBLET SQUAT
 
I will repeat the earlier steps for 5 times and before I switch to focus on my triceps, I'll do a GOBLET SQUAT using the 30lbs dumbbell.

b) TRICEPS - triceps kickback

I still used the 15lbs dumbbell and the same method would be used.

IN BETWEEN NORMAL 10 SECS REST, DO SIT UPS (INSTEAD OF REST)

The interval exercise is to focus on abs but instead of doing leg raise, I'll do sit ups during this time.

REPETITION OF 5 TIMES

EACH TIME BEFORE MOVING TO A NEW EXERCISE, DO A GOBLET SQUAT

I will repeat the earlier steps for 5 times and before I switch to focus on my shoulders, I'll do a GOBLET SQUAT using the 30lbs dumbbell.
 
c) SHOULDERS - seated shoulder press

Both of the dumbbells are 15lbs and the same repetition would be completed.

IN BETWEEN NORMAL 10 SECS REST, DO RUSSIAN TWIST OR LEG RAISE (INSTEAD OF REST)

Again, the interval exercise is to focus n the abs.

REPETITION OF 5 TIMES

EACH TIME BEFORE MOVING TO A NEW EXERCISE, DO A GOBLET SQUAT

I will repeat the earlier steps for 5 times and before I switch to focus on my shoulders, I'll do a GOBLET SQUAT using the 30lbs dumbbell.

d) CHEST - bench press

BENCH PRESS
 
Similar to earlier workout. In between normal 10 secs rest, do SIT UPS

After the same repetition of 5 times, do another goblet squat

If I have time, I will also add in WALKING LUNGE into the workout.

WEIGHT TRAINING SUMMARY

In short, I focus on my biceps, triceps, shoulders and chest as well throughout my workout while putting in effort on my abs. I will also make sure that I did not neglect my legs by doing goblet squat and walking lunge as well.

3) STRETCHING

I think overall, I have been able to stretch my training regime to include every part of my body as much as possible. I also add in stretching to maintain the flexibility. 

Of course, this is just a guide. I think as long as you are pushing yourself further each time, that will be great. Sometimes, it's easy to focus too much on building body that we forgot fitness should be the ultimate goal. I was running more than 6km within 30 minutes already after getting back into gym for 3 months plus. I am also learning better to improve on my workout. Sometimes, I will add in jump rope, plank etc. It's all about mixing it and giving yourself something fresh and pushing yourself further at the same time.
 

 

 

8 comments:

  1. useful information and that is indeed very practical for one who is new to the gym and need some pointers to head start.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope it's helpful. I have go through the struggles to learn on the workouts as well.... ;-)

      Delete
  2. Oh wow, I'm totally impressed! If only my son is just as hardworking. He has just been enlisted into the army for 2 yrs. Good training for him. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Army training. Cool! Hope he learns how to be more self-motivated as he grow older. :-)

      Delete
  3. Hi Billy. You just shared a nice post as I have just started to get serious with my gym workout again since weeks ago, in preparation for my overseas trip next week. I will need to walk many miles daily in the cold.

    I have nagging aches and discomforts on many parts of my joints too. I accidentally discovered the remedy by punching and kicking the boxing bag. Oh boy, the great reliefs also reduced all my stiffness too. Try it Billy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate! Hope the post gives you some insights on workouts. I think using a boxing bag will be a great workout as well. Am looking to get one soon...

      Delete
  4. Wahh... Nice workout.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Can be used as guideline for others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. would love a treadmill

    sounds like a good workout :)

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email

Theme images by i-bob. Powered by Blogger.